Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Murray Cumming wrote:
> As for bringing in new functionality and allowing varied focus, I still
> think this could be done with additional release sets such as
> - Productivity:
>   Spreadsheets, Word processing, Slides, Databases, Publishing.
> - Creativity:
>   Photos, Graphics, Drawing, Video- and Audio-editing, sharing, mixing,
> augmenting, collaborating.

We could get inspiration from what KDE guys do. If the "gnome desktop"
expands to any kind of applications in various fields (like it seems to
be the case), we could issue metapackages like gnome-libs (gtk,
gnomevfs, etc.), gnome-base (nautilus, panel, etc.), gnome-multimedia
(photo management, editing and such), gnome-games (oh, this one already
exists!), etc.

Since we would have meta-packages and no real packages like KDE do,
these "parts of the environment" could even overlap, so that a photo
management application could be part of gnome-multimedia as well as
gnome-photo for instance.