Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Havoc Pennington wrote:

This of course is a personal question that everyone has to answer for themselves; if GNOME made a beautiful just works super-integrated desktop, that did not in the end have that many users (that failed to bring an open source alternative to the general public); vs. if GNOME made a lot of not-desktop-in-the-traditional-sense things and some of them had a chance to reach the general public on a large scale; which would we rather have. I know for sure that if people are honest with themselves, we have a lot of developers on both sides of this question.

I'm not sure we're doing either of those things right now though - our current audience-benefit focuses that I've listed a few times don't care _that_ much about "just works" or beautiful or integration. Not as much as Apple's creative professionals audience does, for sure.

So we tend to prioritize things like hackability/configurability, diversity of apps, interoperability, i18n, reliable releases, management/security, and so forth over more Apple-like priorities. The de facto audience here winning over the audiences some people might more idealistically have in mind.

btw, I bet GNOME can do all three of the strawman things I brought up here. But it's a matter of not trying to do them all in one big soupy way, but getting laser focus on each. Not thinking of any of them as "make a desktop," but something more specific in each case that may or may not involve a desktop, and if it does may also involve additional stuff on top of it.

Havoc