Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

On Ter, 2006-07-18 at 13:08 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
[...]
>  But regardless, if we want to be cohesive,
>        we have to *integrate*, not keep a wall between the applications
>        and the rest of the system.

  IMHO, GNOME doesn't need to integrate apps onto itself.  On the
contrary, apps need to integrate with GNOME.  For that to happen, GNOME
needs:

	1- Framework for desktop extensibility, in the line of some of the
things we already have: ability to register new MIME types, install menu
items, register new applets with the panel; some others are missing,
like notifications (libnotify, hopefully some day part of gnome); also
nautilus/epiphany/gedit extensions..

	2- A sound developer platform.  glib/gtk+; hopefully gnome-vfs lower in
the stack... GStreamer...

	3- GNOME integration guidelines: the HIG is an excellent start, but not
enough; I don't remember if there are others...

  And BTW, nautilus supports search folders, which can be optionally