Re: GnomeClient replacement?

On mer, 2006-07-19 at 09:52 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I was in discussions with another maintainer of core GNOME modules (that
> shall remained anonymous), and we were not very impressed at the way
> Ubuntu forwarded bugs.

Right, there is probably nothing to be impressed about but we try to get
useful details (debug backtrace by example) and to forward as many
upstream issues as possible, no doubt we could do better though.
Anything special you would like to get changed from the bugs we forward?
(saying that you are not very impressed doesn't give anything special to
work on to make that better)

> Bugs caused by Ubuntu specific patches should not be able to make their
> way to the GNOME bugzilla

I don't think Ubuntu maintainers are forwarding a lot of bugs due to
Ubuntu patches upstream but maybe your experience is different?

Users are a different issue. We try to push people to report bugs to
Ubuntu when they are not sure of what they are doing so we can filter
distribution specific ones before sending them upstream but we can't
stop people using bug-buddy or bugzilla if they want

>  and patches that aren't brand or slight
> preferences fixing should have an upstream bugzilla.

> I have seen some patches showing up in b.g.o after having been in Ubuntu
> for months.

Agreed, that is an issue for pretty much every distribution around.
I looked at some fedora, mandriva and suse packages for useful patches
we could use for Ubuntu before dapper, and all of them have GNOME
patches that would be welcome upstream and have not been forwarded, so
nothing specific to Ubuntu on that, but right we should try to do better
on that

> Gathering backtraces should be done in launchpad before a bug is opened
> upstream, and it's not the case sometimes.

That's one of the things we are working one and what Luis was
complaining about

> So it's not perfect, but I'm sure you'll get there.

Right, it's far for being perfect at the moment but I think it's still
better than sending everything directly upstream by bud-buddy (which was
the point of my first mail). Note that the purpose of the mail was not
to say Ubuntu does a particularly good job at it, but to point that the
job done by distributions might not be perfect but is still something
useful and there is no reason flooding directly upstream with
distributions bug would be better for GNOME

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher