Re: consistency (or lack thereof)

Matthias Clasen wrote:
Most of the control-center capplets are immediate-apply
(except for ones which have very good reason not to be),
and all of then have a "Close" button. All ? No, not all.
The background capplet considers it better to have a "Finish" button instead...

I have asked to fix this, but I have been told that
user testing showed that "Close" is wrong there...

So, what now ? Do we suddenly change all our close buttons
to finish buttons ? Or do we embrace inconsistency in the name of user testing ?
I think there are a number of ways you could interpret the results of that user study. A user stating that 'Close' didn't make them think that their changes would be saved could mean that you change the button from 'close' to 'finish' or 'save' or 'done'. But you could also do lots of other things to ensure that a person feels their changes in the background capplet are saved. I think it would be advantageous and fair for people to discuss the root problem and prototype the changes, then decide the right change that other capplets could take advantage of. It seems hasty and incorrect to just change the one capplet and not the others, did user testing show that people felt the other capplets were saving even with only a close button?

~ Bryan