Re: Tomboy in Desktop

man, 24 07 2006 kl. 19:49 +0100, skrev Jamie McCracken:

> I dont doubt that but FWIW when it comes to adding Tracker to gnome
> 2.18, I would like notes to be added as a first class object and stored
> in Tracker's DB. Tracker already makes it easy to add tagging,
> extensible metadata and linking to other objects so adding such support
> to sticky notes (and Tomboy too if maintainer allows) is one way of
> improving things in that regard. Im not commiting myself to fixing all
> your gripes in sticky notes just giving it a bit of tracker power that
> will hopefully make them more manageable and powerful.

I have no gripe with sticky notes, hell up till a few days ago I had
blissfully forgotten it's existence. This is also not about Tracker,
this is about Tomboy - the argument was starting to center around the
notion that we could just "fix" sticky notes and my point was that
Tomboy is a much better application today and users generally love it.

Sticky Notes comes no where near it and bringing it to the same state
would take a lot of hard and pointless work.

Merely adding spell checking (and I agree we should have a common spell
checking API and HIG spec but that aside) and stuffing it in Tracker
(which isn't an option TODAY as tracker is nowhere near ready either, by
your own admission the plan for proposal is 2.18) won't magically make
it Tomboy.

Tomboy is the product of innovation, it works well and is stable. I see
no reason to not include it what so ever. I don't really see a reason to
keep Sticky Notes either, it's not discoverable and I doubt many people
actually use it - furthermore all the things you'd do in Sticky Notes
can be done in Tomboy with ease. It's minimally different interfaces and
modes of operation but it would be better to do a UI review of Tomboy
and have one application, one good default.

If you want the same exact behavior as Sticky Notes, simply don't use
the linking feature, voila - you have the same thing (but with spell
checking, reference ability, etc). That is where Alex and I differ in
opinion, I think we can replace Sticky Notes based on that observation.

But please don't retrofit Tomboy on Sticky Notes just because of the
politics around Mono and don't bring up Tracker as a solution. We can't
make decisions based on software we haven't even examined and debated
for inclusion. I imagine the Beagle people might have arguments for and
against their system for that debate when it comes around in 6 months or
so.

That's my opinion.