Re: [g-a-devel] GnomeClient replacement?

On 26/07/06, Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman sun com> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 17:57, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>  It's just that people were too lazy to fix
> it generically, and instead went on a cut-and-paste spree. That the
> cut-and-paste spree included libgnome and thus got some subset of apps
> all at once hardly changes the basic situation.
>
> Nobody should really need to be told this is an unacceptable patch, but
> in any case people were told.

There must be some disconnect here, I thought we were talking about the
code in gnome_program_init that reads the gconf key and loads the
modules appropriately.
I am pretty sure I have misunderstood you, since your comments below
don't make any sense to me in the context that I took them.  I will have
a closer look at the metacity code to see if I understand the changes.

I agree with your summary points 100%.

Havoc's summary at the bottom of his email says why the current
gnome_program_init() code is a hack:

> In summary:
>   - if every libgtk app should do something, get that code in gtk
>   - if every libgnome-using app should do something, get that code in
>     libgnome
>   - if only a particular app should do something, get that code in that
>     app

Assuming that we want accessibility turned on for all GTK programs,
then performing that initialisation in a libgnome routine is
suboptimal since not every app links to libgnome (e.g. metacity).  The
fact that the current initialisation code is in gnome_program_init()
means that cut-n-paste is necessary.

If the initialisation code is put in the right place, it only needs to
be done once (the suggested solution being to make
gnome-settings-daemon set the gtk-modules XSETTING that libgtk now
watches).

On the other hand, gnome_program_init() making sure that libgail-gnome
is initialised if a11y probably is a good idea, since programs linking
to libgnome probably need libgail-gnome.

James.