Re: categories in control center applets

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 16:24 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> ugh, right, for some reason I mixed Personal and System, so the correct
> layout is:
>
> Hardware: keyboard, mouse, printers, removable drives and media, screen
> resolution

Screen Resolution seems more like a "Look & Feel" issue to me...

> Look & Feel:

... but having said that, this term sounds a bit geeky to me.  How about
something like "Appearance" or "Display"?  (Especially as with the
current categorisation it's really all "look", and not much "feel".)

> System: GStreamer properties, Network proxies, Power management,
> Preferred apps, Remote desktop, Sessions, Sound

"System" is one of those words I thought we usually tried to avoid...
maybe "Administration" or something?  Certainly hard to find a good
catch-all word, though[1].

I'm not sure I'd think of looking for Sound here... it's one of those
"comfort" preferences that I'd personally kind of expect to find beside
screen resolution, fonts and themes.

Not sure about Remote Desktop in here either, but it depends what the
definitive category list turns out to be I guess.  (I also think Remote
Desktop would be better named "Desktop Sharing" or something... keep
meaning to file a bug about that.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1]  Which is why I always object to categorised windows like this to
start with, but I guess I've lost the battle on that one :)

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group