Re: categories in control center applets

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 06:48:40PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 16:24 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > ugh, right, for some reason I mixed Personal and System, so the correct
> > layout is:
> >
> > Hardware: keyboard, mouse, printers, removable drives and media, screen
> > resolution
>
> Screen Resolution seems more like a "Look & Feel" issue to me...
>
> > Look & Feel:
>
> ... but having said that, this term sounds a bit geeky to me.  How about
> something like "Appearance" or "Display"?  (Especially as with the
> current categorisation it's really all "look", and not much "feel".)
>
> > System: GStreamer properties, Network proxies, Power management,
> > Preferred apps, Remote desktop, Sessions, Sound
>
> "System" is one of those words I thought we usually tried to avoid...
> maybe "Administration" or something?  Certainly hard to find a good
> catch-all word, though[1].

  I like very much current* distinction into Preferences and
Administration. It's incredibly easy to explain for someone new to
GNOME:
* Preferences are for settings relevant to current user
* Administration settings impact all users of machine

 So GST properties are user ones, as proxies, preferred apps, sessions.
In other hand, changes to power management, boot order, services (remote
desktop) are affecting all users.

 It would be nice to retain this separation and do not mix categories.

* Seen at last in FC5, Ubuntu 6.10 and FRG 2.16.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox