Re: [bug-buddy]: Custom scripts for your application

Hi Brian,

On 11/30/06, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:
> So info for the paranoia user? Well, it is going to a public bugtracker.
> This probably should be made clearer so that user can just
> cancel/disable the entire bug-buddy.

I think it is good to document how this works so that users understand
what is going on behind the scenes since potentially private/sensitive
data might be forwarded to a public bug server.

Stack traces can already potentially contain private info.  The
current method is:
1) Program crashes
2) Bug-buddy is launched, gathers data, and notifies the user what happened
3) Bug-buddy notifies the user that sensitive data may have been
collected and lets them know how to review it
4) The user is allowed to type in additional information and send the
report, or abort.

I don't see why the process should really change just because extra
information has been gathered besides a stack trace.  (Especially
since bug buddy merely says "information about the crash has been
successfully collected...)

Even if we don't add pop-ups or configuration settings, how this works
should at least be documented somewhere more formal than an email
discussion on desktop-devel-list.

In the user documentation of bug-buddy?  It's also pretty clear from
just using it...

Yes, I just think there should be some mechanism to turn of bug
reporting.

It's already built-in to bug-buddy: you click "close" instead of
"send".  Does that not do what you want?

Elijah