Re: Proposal: gnome-main-menu for inclusion in GNOME 2.18

On 10/20/06, Diego Escalante <diego aureal com pe> wrote:

but I was annoyed by how the application and
configuration browser were ALWAYS running and eating about 100Mb of
RAM. It's not an issue for me thanks to my Gig of RAM but for someone
with less RAM it can be a killer problem.
Is this fixed?.

Looking at my system, both apps are using ~ 9meg. Maybe it has been fixed.

My first impressions - It fits the way I work better, I have lots of
apps installed that I rarely use, and only a handful that I do use
regularly. I've dragged them into the menu as Favourites and its
quicker than hunting through menus for them.

It does highlight how badly some (most?) apps .desktop file
descriptions are screwed up with the tiles looking like

Epiphany Web Brow...
Web Browser

Cowbell Music Orga...
Music Organiser

If the generic description wasn't included in the Name, there'd be a
lot less ... going on.

Clicking on the Hard drive info brings up gnome system monitor, which
doesn't really have anything nice about the hard drive...maybe running
the disk cleanup tool in gnome-utils. The icon of the hard drive could
have a nice little pie chart thingy, like
http://ramnet.se/~nisse/diverse/temp/disk-space.png

The Network thingy says
Connected: Lin...
does it need the "Connected:" bit, if it was left out, I could see
more of my network name

Having Places/Bookmarks would make it very useful.

I like the use of colour to differentiate areas, I think we should do
more of this in GNOME.

And if it's replacing menus, I think it should replace both menus. We
dont want menus to be the new clocks.

iain