Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

2006/10/24, Jamie McCracken <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>:
(okay here goes -  now that I have looked up what an "elevator pitch"
is! I will try to be brief...)

What is it?

Tracker is a personal search tool and storage system that allows you to
search and enhance your personal data with the minimum of fuss.

It allows you to find the proverbial needle in your computer's haystack
as well as providing a one stop solution to the organisation, storage
and categorisation of your data.

What does it do?

Tracker trawls through your data and organises it so that it can be
retrieved extremely quickly later on via simple searches.
Just a small nitpick. Does it organise data or index it? I think it
only indexes it and does not change the data itself. This is important
for users. It should be clear that an index does not touch the data it

Why is it important?

Tracker provides a framework for desktop search which nearly all modern
platforms provide

Tracker provides fast search and fast indexing whilst using considerably
less memory than its competitors such that it can be used on almost any
reasonable machine.
Strigi is just as memory efficient as Tracker is. I've not done a
benchmark, but Strigi's memory usage is also between 5 and 10 Mb (last
time i checked).

Cheers,
Jos