Re: eject buttons on the places menu

On 4 Jan 2007, at 23:21, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 20:26 +0100, David Prieto wrote:
I'm open to alternative solutions, anyway. Would it be OK if keyboard
navigation just ignored the eject buttons?

it would be an accessibility issue, and I'm positive that the a11y
people would *not* let this be implemented - and with good reasons.

I've been getting the impression reading this thread that I'm the only
person who has used this feature on OSX... anyone know how the
accessibility issue is handled over there?

If you're comparing with the eject icons in the Finder sidebar, they're not directly accessible, in the sense that you can't focus/ activate them separately.

They do have better keyboard and menu facilities than us for ejecting things, though: if you manage to highlight a mounted device in the sidebar[1], you can just press Cmd-E (or select File->Eject) at that point. Indeed, you can do this in any Finder window that's showing the root folder of on an ejectable device, whether the sidebar is visible or not.

Or, you can just highlight the mounted device icon on the desktop, and hit Cmd-E or select File->Eject.

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] I say "manage" because unlike Nautilus, the OSX sidebar isn't keyboard navigable.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team