Re: Desktop Session Presence Manager

Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 18:11 +0000, Brian Nitz wrote:
> > I was thinking about when you might want use this.   Let's say you're
> > inside a tight loop in an applet or gdesklet and you want to check if
> > anyone is watching before you do the last bit of graphics scaling, 3D
> > blending, shading and anti-aliasing before updating the screen every 50
> > microseconds ;-)  Which would be faster, asking the galaga service to
> > ask if I'm here or check a presence gconf key (presumably set by galaga)?
>
> Galago maintains presence in memory in the daemon, so they'd both be
> about the same speed as they both involve an IPC call.

I guess that galago would be a good candidate for propagating not only
away/idle/present, but also the "busy" state to applications.

Setting to "busy" state would stop applications to show notifications
(except critical ones), would stop playing sounds when friend logs in to
IM, would not show pop-ups etc.

This status would be useful for both enterprise use (don't pop up new
chats while presenting) and home use (don't play GAIM notification
sounds while watching DVD in fullscreen with sound directed to large
speakers).

Even status like "sound-is-busy", "video-is-busy" would be useful in
some environments (studios).

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/