Re: build systems

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 11:01 +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 00:32 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > > In this case there is an easy solution. Convert a few GNOME projects
> > > to the new build system and show the result.
> >
> > Good plan. I've got an old branch of gnome-power-manager building with
> > waf, and I indend on having waf a build method for PackageKit in the
> > next few days. Is there any hard and fast rule that says gnome projects
> > _have_ to use autotools?
>
> Not any rule I know of; but using ./configure; make; make install (be
> it with autotools or anything else) is quite useful to be integrated
> in JHBuild modulesets.

We don't use autotools, but it was a no brainer to make

$ ./configure; make; make install

be the API to call what we do use. The Makefile is like 3 lines and all
it does is call ./build/the-real-build-program, and our setup system
calls itself `configure` because that's a good name for it.

AfC
Sydney