Re: GNOME Panel++

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 16:41 -0500, Benjamin Gramlich wrote:
> Gimmie is very interesting and user friendly. I've always felt that the
> Gnome panel has been a little bare. SLED was a step in the right
> direction, but it seems that very few people have been willing to use
> it. (Actually, isn't Novell the only merchant to use SLED?)

yes, mainly because SLED is SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, the name of
the desktop distro sold by Novell :-) I guess what you mean is the
gnome-main-menu applet, right?

> I think that the gnome-panel could benefit very much from a redesign
> that would blend the OSX dock concept with its current UI. Maybe
> blending some of gimmie's great ideas with some of SLED's improvements.
> Gimmie would need to be implemented in C, though, wouldn't it?

unless there are very big performance issues, which I doubt, I see no
reason to rewrite a working software that already uses a free software
platform.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>