Re: Module proposal: gio and gvfs for gnome 2.22?

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 17:02 -0700, Alex Graveley wrote:
> I'm not sure what the current state of glib-dependency acceptance is
> for XDG or KDE people.  Has anyone approached KDE about integrating
> KIO and GIO?

They have their own code and API, which fit in their platform (Qt based,
C++ APIs). We share (and work together on) the specs and shared data,
but I've seen zero interest in sharing APIs or higher level code.

And are we really interested in using code that is lowest common
denominator (which would be ansi C with no library dependencies except
libc)? At the very least we would want a glib-style wrapper of it, and
then we're back at gio again.

I mean, libgio does in fact already have multiple backends, as it has
for instance win32 specific code for the content types and application
database.

Of course I don't see firefox or OOo using this on win32, because they
already have win32 specific code. However, its very useful for making
pure gtk+ apps work fine on win32, which is a nice goal.

And for ISVs not using gio we should be able to get at least some
integration because gvfs also supports file access via a fuse mount.