Re: State of gvfs in Gnome 2.21

Em Ter, 2008-02-12 às 16:13 +0200, Lucas Rocha escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/2/12, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org>:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 8:36 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > > Despite all the hard work, it doesn't look like the new Nautilus will be
> > > ready for GNOME 2.22 without regressions.
> > >
> > > Why aren't we talking about punting it until GNOME 2.23/24? We've never
> > > allowed this kind of thing before - punting would be entirely normal.
> >
> > We once delayed a release for a gtk release which wasn't yet stable,
> > IIRC- the porting was too far along to revert the porting work in a
> > timely manner (which I'm guessing is also the case here) and the
> > regressions were too large to do a .0 (which also seems to be the case
> > here, though I haven't followed it closely.)
> >
> > But agreed that the right thing to do is to delay the release rather
> > than release a .0 with substantial regressions (as I ranted on a bit
> > at my blog and on gnome-bugsquad.)
>
> I agree. We shouldn'd discard the possibility of either postponing the
> gvfs-based Nautilus or delaying the .0 release if needed. Obviously,
> releasing Nautilus with too many or some big regressions is not a good
> plan.
>
> Personally, I'm more in favor of postponing the gvfs-based Nautilus
> because delaying our release can bring more problems for us and for
> the projects relying on our schedule.
>
> Hence, it would be good:
> - to have a plan with the list of regressions we can't accept for 2.22
> - to hear (mainly) from Alex if this plan is feasible
>
> --lucasr

Personally, I prefer to delay the .0 release, and ship with new
nautilus.

I think distros would understand that would be necessary. Ubuntu, for
example is going to release a LTS (long term support) version, and, last
LTS (dapper 6.04) had 2 months of delay (becoming 6.06).

>From an user point of view, I understand/second that my distro will
delay a new version due to needed of polish/fixing bugs on it.

--
Jonh Wendell
www.bani.com.br