Re: State of gvfs in Gnome 2.21

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 17:48 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> > >  I do not like having to write the address in
> > > the location bar to have it accessible on the Desktop
> > Try this:
> >  * open smb://network/resource
>
> Cosimo was right when he said he doesn't like to write an address in the
> location bar. By default, Nautilus doesn't even show one, and until now,
> GNOME users didn't have to because of the Connect to Server dialog. If
> that dialog would disappear, it would really be a painful regression.
>
> If "network mounts" can be re-implemented as bookmarks, I'm fine with
> that, but they should still be visually discernable from regular folders
> as is currently the case in the Location menu.

We can easily re-implement connect to server and make that be the
"volume" for the gvfs "mount". This means the icon will show up where
the mount is even when its not mounted, and clicking on it will allow
you to mount it.

However, as cosimo noticed, this somewhat overlaps with what bookmarks
can be used for too. If you put a bookmark to a network location you can
use that to easily mount the network mount too... Of course, then when
its mounted it will show up both as a mount and as a bookmark, so maybe
that is not ideal.