Re: State of gvfs in Gnome 2.21

2008/1/24, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>:

> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 17:48 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> >

> > Cosimo was right when he said he doesn't like to write an address in the
> > location bar. By default, Nautilus doesn't even show one, and until now,
> > GNOME users didn't have to because of the Connect to Server dialog. If
> > that dialog would disappear, it would really be a painful regression.
> >
> > If "network mounts" can be re-implemented as bookmarks, I'm fine with
> > that, but they should still be visually discernable from regular folders
> > as is currently the case in the Location menu.
>
> We can easily re-implement connect to server and make that be the
> "volume" for the gvfs "mount". This means the icon will show up where
> the mount is even when its not mounted, and clicking on it will allow
> you to mount it.
>
> However, as cosimo noticed, this somewhat overlaps with what bookmarks
> can be used for too. If you put a bookmark to a network location you can
> use that to easily mount the network mount too... Of course, then when
> its mounted it will show up both as a mount and as a bookmark, so maybe
> that is not ideal.

Just to add as user who heavily uses Connect to Server dialog - my
suggestion is to rewrite it to create bookmark (aka ssh://user host),
but leave it's visual functionality as it is. I know you don't map
connection, you just create shortcut to it, but it was also before
that. Just rename it to Create Network Bookmark or something like
that.

Don't invent good thing twice. Connect To Server dialog was very
useful and I would like to suggest to keep such functionality in
futher releases.

Cheers,
Peter.