Re: maintainer scripts

On Sa, 2008-07-26 at 14:11 -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> Ysgrifennodd daniel g. siegel:
> > thanks! it was exactly that what i needed. i modified it a bit, mostly
> > to have the changelog and news style of older release notes of cheese.
>
> Metacity also has a release script, which I'd also like to merge:
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/metacity/trunk/tools/release-wrangler.py?revision=3625&view=markup
>
> Brad Fitzpatrick produced a grand unified release script called ShipIt
> once; I took a look at merging it with that.  It's written in Perl,
> which is a shame because most GNOME scripts are written in Python or
> shellscript.  However, it did have one really important and useful
> feature, which was that any project could contain a file which overrode
> one or more steps of the standard procedure.  That way, you didn't have
> to write a new release script every time, or fork a standard one, but
> you could modify it in just the way you needed.
>
> I didn't end up using ShipIt in the end, because there were some
> finer-grained modifications needed than it seemed worth making and
> keeping the same system.  The design is rather lovely, though, and I
> believe it would be worthwhile to adopt in any generalised maintainer
> script.

could you tell me where to find it?

> > btw: we have another cool script, which basically is a wrapper around
> > svn commit, which updates the ChangeLog file with the commit message
> > before actually commiting.
> >
> > you can find it here: http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/files/cicl
>
> Funnily enough, Metacity also has such a script :)
>
> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/metacity/trunk/tools/commit-wrangler.py?view=markup
>
> Maybe we should all be pooling effort.

totally! it would be great to have a development kit, which unifies all
the effort which is done to create releases of the gnome modules...

of course we could add all that to the buildsystem, at least the release
process. waf would be a good example to experimentate on

> peace

this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>
http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel
gnupg key id: 0x6EEC9E62
fingerprint: DE5B 1F64 9034 1FB6 E120 DE10 268D AFD5 6EEC 9E62
encrypted email preferred