Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Jonathon Jongsma
<jonathon quotidian org> wrote:
> On 3/18/08, Felipe Contreras <felipe contreras gmail com> wrote:
>  > I'm a GNOME user and FOSS developer that would like to know which are
>  >  the features users want. Knowing that is a step closer into making a
>  >  consequential contribution.
>  >
>  >  Now I know d-d-l is not the right place for that, neither is the GNOME
>  >  community, I'll better start on Ubuntu brainstorm, like apparently a
>  >  lot of people are doing.
>
>  I really don't understand the tone of the exchanges here.  It seems to
>  be verging on hostility but I don't understand why.
>
>  Felipe, your original post in this thread (which was completely
>  unrelated to the thread topic of a release schedule) was:
>
> "Still the input from the user-base is not considered?"

Sorry if I sounded unpolite, that was not my intention.

I have tried to bring this issue before. I think the users should be
involved in the roadmaping process at least indirectly.

When a user/potential-developer sees the RoadMap page I guess the
first reaction is: I can't provide feedback.

>  Basically, you accused GNOME developers of not caring what users want
>  (in a not particularly polite way).  From what I understand, the
>  reason that you think this is because GNOME has not created a
>  'brainstorm' application like ubuntu did (and dell before them...).
>  Is this a correct summary of your position?  Or is there something
>  else that you are upset about?

I just wanted to see what users want. The fact that that information
is nowhere available means that developers are missing important
feedback, and some users' needs are being ignored.

Don't get me wrong, I think you are doing a great job, I just don't
see anything interesting for me to contribute in the RoadMap.

I prefer the quick visibility that the Ubuntu brainstorm is providing,
so I'm going to use that.

--
Felipe Contreras