Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:57 +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:

[Infrastructure to keep track of regressions in login time]
> Yeap, apparently such infrastructure is needed.

Yeah.  We can probably start by adding some checkpoints to interesting
parts in the startup code of the desktop programs --- what we've been
doing in Nautilus and the Panel should definitely help.  Then we have to
find an easy way to collect that data on demand, and then feed it to
tools like bootchart / iogrind / etc.

The problem we've had so far is that someone does a good analysis of
login time, things get fixed, but then over time things get gradually
worse.  It would be nice to be able to get a fresh profile at any
moment, just to see that things didn't get screwed up.

Volunteers?  I'd be delighted to mentor this :)

> Indeed, but it would have been nice to know this was important to
> users before. The fact that GVFS allows this is a strike of luck.

Ubuntu's new "brainstorm" page is pretty cool.  Would you have time to
implement something similar for GNOME?  I quite like the idea of a "digg
for feature ideas" that we could reuse in various places.

  Federico