Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 15:39 -0700, Ethan Osten wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 19:32 +0100, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, den 26.03.2008, 19:13 +0100 schrieb Xavier Claessens:
> > > Did I forgot something?
> > > Xavier Claessens.
> >
> > Missing password security. And absolute no-go in the current shape.
>
> Hi.
>
> As an outside developer who very much wants to use Empathy in his
> program, but also wants to rest assured that it will be widely available
> and supported and used first[1], I have to say that I don't find your
> attitude here at all helpful. What's the benefit here to being overtly
> confrontational?
>
> If you have issues with the Empathy codebase - and it certainly seems
> that you do - *please* try to bring them up in a civil manner, so that
> they can be discussed and resolved. Otherwise, all you're doing is
> inciting flamewars, which helps no one and keeps the real issues from
> being addressed.

I'm sorry, I disagree, and I really hate when people react this way.
Sven was not being confrontational.

Saying "Missing password security" is just being factual, albeit
syntetic.  "And absolute no-go in the current shape" is just pointing
out that lack of security is a feature that, in his opinion, should
block inclusion in the desktop.  [ I agree with this view, BTW, but that
is beside the point ].

I am tired sick of people accusing other people of causing flamewars.
If you attack a solution based objectively on its technical
features/flaws, how can it be considered flaming?  I think flamewars
have more to do with attacking persons on a personal level,
intentionally twisting facts to favour certain arguments, or re-hashing
old discussions of highly controversial topics.  I sensed none of those
in Sven's post.

Seriously, one of these days everyone will start to need a lawyer, or PR
manager, to post messages to gnome desktop-devel... :|

> Thanks!
> Ethan
>
> 1: IM is one of the areas that pretty much requires user input to be
> usable, so if I rely upon it in my application when most of my users end
> up using Pidgin or whatever, I'll end up with a feature that's useless
> to my audience.

You might as well just have said "Pidgin sucks!" :D

Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert