Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 11:39 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> I'm sorry, I disagree, and I really hate when people react this way.
> Sven was not being confrontational.
Not just that message - I responded to that one because it was the most
recent one. Reading the thread, all but one of his messages (the first)
was rude and confrontational.

> Saying "Missing password security" is just being factual, albeit
> syntetic.  "And absolute no-go in the current shape" is just pointing
> out that lack of security is a feature that, in his opinion, should
> block inclusion in the desktop.  [ I agree with this view, BTW, but that
> is beside the point ].
"And absolute no-go in the current shape" does *not* necessarily mean
"that password security issue is the most important thing. The "and"
implies independence from the previous sentence, else it would be "This
makes it..." and so on. With the conjunction in place, it logically
reads as an independent reason against Empathy.

> I am tired sick of people accusing other people of causing flamewars.
> If you attack a solution based objectively on its technical
> features/flaws, how can it be considered flaming?  I think flamewars
> have more to do with attacking persons on a personal level,
> intentionally twisting facts to favour certain arguments, or re-hashing
> old discussions of highly controversial topics.  I sensed none of those
> in Sven's post.
Sorry if it seemed like I was only responding to Sven's most recent
post. The rest of the thread factored into my message as well; I
probably should have made that clear.

> > 1: IM is one of the areas that pretty much requires user input to be
> > usable, so if I rely upon it in my application when most of my users end
> > up using Pidgin or whatever, I'll end up with a feature that's useless
> > to my audience.
>
> You might as well just have said "Pidgin sucks!" :D
I like Pidgin, and I personally still use it, but it can't do a lot of
things that Empathy can. ;)

Thanks,
Ethan