Re: FUD from PackageKit, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

Hi,

Please, both, cool down. We don't need a flame war, and certainly not on
DDL.

Both seems to have their good POV; both seem to have a deteriorated
vision of the other, probably due to past discussions.

For example, saying that PackageKit can "serve only second-grade
distributions", isn't nice to the developers. Josselin, probably you
didn't realize that because you feel deeply frustrated and ignored, but
to an external viewer you're looking quite aggressive.

I think Richard felt attacked, jumped in the trench, and started
shooting back. This won't bring anyone anywhere: we need the
collaboration of a great distro like Debian as much as we need
PackageKit.

I see PackageKit as a very welcome idea and a needed layer in order to
abstract what's most inhomogeneous across distros: package management.

I'm quite excited by it. Maybe who wrote the apt backend could jump in
the discussion and say what the difficulties of making it run seamlessly
were/are.

An idea, by the way: as of now, Ubuntu during an update pops-up
sparingly a window asking what to do with a modified configuration file:
if keeping the original version of the maintainer, the modified one, or
what else.

Can't we have an option at the beginning of the upgrade process like
"
    When a system-wide configuration file has to be replaced:

      (o)  Always choose the new version (recommended)
      ( )  Always leave the local version in place
      ( )  Ask from time to time
"
...or maybe a preference option?

Most users seeing that smb.conf or login.defs has to be adjusted really
don't know what to do (I've seen quite a lot of them panicking at a
distro upgrade): they never touched these files and don't know what they
do.

If this is Ubuntu specific only, just tell and I'll open a bug in
launchpad.

Thanks,
matteo