Re: FUD from PackageKit, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

Le mardi 25 novembre 2008 à 20:42 +0100, Matteo Settenvini a écrit :
> An idea, by the way: as of now, Ubuntu during an update pops-up
> sparingly a window asking what to do with a modified configuration file:
> if keeping the original version of the maintainer, the modified one, or
> what else.

Yes, this is precisely the kind of things that PackageKit is missing.
Currently update-manager does that with a specific hook, but the clean
way would be to use debconf, and there is already work underway to get
it right.

> Can't we have an option at the beginning of the upgrade process like
> "
>     When a system-wide configuration file has to be replaced:
>
>       (o)  Always choose the new version (recommended)
>       ( )  Always leave the local version in place
>       ( )  Ask from time to time
> "
> ...or maybe a preference option?

I think that would make just one more useless question. The package
manager asks about the modified configuration file only when it has no
other choice; the user has modified the file by hand and the
modifications cannot be merged. The wrong choice can break the
configuration, so that’s why the question is asked.

> Most users seeing that smb.conf or login.defs has to be adjusted really
> don't know what to do (I've seen quite a lot of them panicking at a
> distro upgrade): they never touched these files and don't know what they
> do.

Any time this happens while the file has not been modified, this is
considered an important or serious bug. Please don’t hesitate to report
such issues to the BTS.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.