Re: FUD from PackageKit, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

On 11/25/08, Josselin Mouette <joss debian org> wrote:
> I still don't understand why you are restricting it to a single category
> of questions. Debconf allows that and much more, in a (of course)
> structured way.

Right, so you guys need to propose extensions (and code!) on the
PackageKit mailing list like SUSE guys did with the EULA callbacks.

> Synaptic won't open a terminal either, except on request, for
> informational purposes.

But it's running a hidden VTE widget. As root.

> Furthermore it sounds strange to advocate at the same time that people
> don't run a GTK+ app as root, and to ask to use something else than
> PackageKit to do complex operations. Is secure design only good for
> small operations? Or maybe you think distribution upgrades can only be
> done with a CLI?

We need to discuss this on the PK mailing list.

> I don't recall having asked anyone to implement anything for us. However
> I do recall being explained that, if implemented, debconf support would
> not make it into your code.

Quote me:

"Advanced users can reconfigure packages in a debian specific helper
program (I'll even ship this in PackageKit in the contrib directory if
you want)."

> These kinds of little sentences are precisely the hostility I was
> talking about. You grew hate for the very idea of correctly supporting
> Debian based on false ideas of what our requirements are, and ignored
> any further attempts of explanations.

No, this is not the case at all. This is my last email on this thread.

Richard.