Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 17:02 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > > Not only is Apache quite a huge dependency to have, it is also very
> > > hard to package this into a generic distro where Apache comes
> > > preconfigured for heavy server use (and the same is true for most
> > > "big" httpds).
> >
> > We're talking 3 megs of dependencies (and that's on a 64 bit system, so
> > probably about 2.5 megs on a 32-bit machine).
>
> A point Patryk touched is that generic distributions will provide
> Apache packages configured to run at startup, so it is not just a
> matter of binary size.

Yeah, I have the same problem with Glom's dependency on PostgreSQL.
Debian/Ubuntu users get an unused PostgreSQL instance even when Glom
isn't running, just because its Debian policy to run any services that
are installed, with no apparent way for the package to request anything
different. I think it's a bad policy.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com