Re: fast-forward only policy

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:10:42PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> > IMO you should make a good argument to switch, not the other way around.
>>
>> What I'm proposing makes things simpler. Do I need to make a good
>> argument of why simple things are good?
>
> You gave as reason 'you just switched your SCM and it's the best time to
> do that'. That is what I was referring to. Now you give another argument
> to the same question.

There are many reasons, I thought it was obvious that 'stable' is
simpler than '1-2'.

>> To be clear on what I'm proposing: there's no need to add 'project' to
>> branch names when you already know the project ('1-2' is fine). But
>> going into the next level, there's no need to have '1-2', '1-4' and
>> '1-0', 'stable' and 'master' are more than enough.
>
> Very strong -1 to 'stable'.
>
> Can we rename branches? What breaks? Gentoo?

Gentoo is using your tarball releases. Or what do you mean?

>> Imagine someone who has been on a GNOME hiatus or is a new comer. What
>> would be easier to understand? '1-2' or 'stable'?
>
> 'stable' was already discussed. Within GNOME 2.20, 2.22, 2.24, 2.26 etc
> are stable. So it isn't clear.

The latest one, of course.

You don't need branches for targets that are not going to move.
Branches are for moving targets, tags are for fixed ones.

--
Felipe Contreras