Re: fast-forward only policy

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 23:15 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Are you going to argue that this branch is desirable to keep alive for
>> all eternity?
>> http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gedit/log/?h=CORBA_ENABLED
>
> I think most reasonable people will say that there is a difference
> between branches which were used for development forks and have been
> merged (such as this, "feature branches" in git), and maintenance
> branches such as gnome-2-26.  Feature branches which have been merged
> can and probably should be killed from the repository unless there is a
> reason to keep them, but long term maintenance branches should be
> preserved.

Ok, I agree that gnome-major-minor branches have some merit (the older
the less merit) but I cannot really see any merit on branches such as
CORBA_ENABLED, so at least we have some kind of agreement there.

But note that CORBA_ENABLED wasn't completely merged, if you drop the
branch you'll loose 2 commits. =O

--
Felipe Contreras