Re: fast-forward only policy

On tis, 2009-05-05 at 23:10 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Imagine someone who has been on a GNOME hiatus or is a new comer. What
> would be easier to understand? '1-2' or 'stable'?

If I want the sources for the gedit in Gnome 2.26, cloning gedit's
repository and checking out the branch 'gnome-2-26' sounds like an
easy-to-remember way to do it. If I want the sources for gedit in Gnome
2.24, I can probably deduce that 'gnome-2-24' sounds like a branch to
look for.

To more-or-less completely replace the contents of the branch 'stable'
every six months, and keep tags to those revisions to make sure they can
be retrieved and turned into their own branches if anyone wants, sounds
like branch abuse to me.