Re: Project Proposal: GNOME Innovation - Resolution

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 18:39 -0500, Paul Cutler wrote:
> Wolter,
>
> While I think this is an interesting idea, I don't thing your email
> below is necessarily the right way to approach this.
>
> When you say "you" below - whom are you referring to?  GNOME is a
> distributed project with hundreds of volunteers all over the world.
> What infrastructure would be used?  How would this be deployed?
> Managed and maintained?  And most importantly, by whom?  The sysadmin
> team already has a number of projects on their plate, and this would
> need to be prioritized appropriately.
>
> You're asking for something to be resolved in a matter of days, and
> historically that's just not how things work in a community run by
> volunteers.  Our git migration is a great example of something that
> was talked about for a long time (moving to a DVCS) and finally
> happened when a handful of volunteers stepped up and made it happen.
>
> And before you volunteer yourself, it would be helpful to understand
> your contributions to the GNOME community.
>
> The worst thing that could happen in my opinion is that this
> implemented and then nothing happens.  Those users and developers who
> contribute ideas and then see no action against them won't be happy.
> While I believe that it is a great idea to receive feedback and ideas
> from our users, free software historically has seen innovation by
> someone who wants to scratch an itch.  I don't know of a specific
> GNOME team or community member who is willing to sign up for
> maintaining a list of ideas, that may or may not be implemented by a
> developer.
>
> To make a long story short, you may want to re-think your approach to
> this.
>
> Paul

I think you have a good point, and for so, I apologize for abruptly
trying to push everyone around in the proposal's benefit.

I you have a very good point, and it has been discussed and pointed out
as one of the weakest points in the project: the lack of manpower.

I was just talking to Sandy at IRC and told him about this, but I think
its time to let the list know as well.

To take advantage of the already established bugzilla system, I think
that a new component could be inserted named suggestion, innovation,
new, or any short term which would refer to the inexistent. This
component would have exactly the same use as the innovation project--it
would track all the additions users would like to see in GNOME.

Moreover, there would be no need to segregate manpower for the section.
Now, in that case, I would consider it appropriate to create as well a
mailing list, but that is to be requested at the corresponding
department.
--
Best regards,
Wolter Hellmund