Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries andpluginsto use gtk3

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 02:15 -0400, dmacks netspace org wrote:
> Alright, but...
>
> >   - No API is added during minor releases.  I admit that as Pango maintainer
>   > I've added one here or there over the years.  But then again, I got to say,
>   > the rule is to not add any in normal circumstances.
>
> Just so we're on the same page here packages are versioned
> "major.minor.teeny, right"?

>  So glib-2.16.x vs -2.18.x vs -2.20.x are
> different minor releases. Aren't there tons of interface additions
> going to each of those successive minor release series? Likewise for
> gtk -2.16.x -> -2.18.x. I've never seen any guideline that the
> development between even-value (stable) minor-version release-series
> should endeavor not to add new interface items--why would gnome want to
> prevent whole new feature-sets in its core stack?

odd-minor version release cycles are where the new API is added; between
micro releases of the same even minor version no new API is added - or,
alternatively: point releases during the same even minor cycle are
strictly interchangeable from a soname point of view. that's the general
rule followed by the GNOME platform libraries, and the scheme enforced
by Behdad's proposal (which, I may add, is already what GLib, Pango,
GTK, GdkPixbuf are using; and I also use it in non-platform libraries
that I maintain, like json-glib and Clutter).

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name