Re: Libtool versioning made easy (was Re: Converting libraries andpluginsto use gtk3

On 07/01/2010 02:15 AM, dmacks netspace org wrote:

>  INTERFACE_CHANGE=2
>  INTERFACE_BREAK=2
>
> when you change the interface (in any way) you bump I_C. When you break
> backward compatibility, you also bump I_B.

This is very close to what we used to do before (and many libraries do today).
 However, it's very fragile and has resulted in many broken releases over the
years.

> From those, easy to calculate
> what libtool -version-info is sufficient to track SONAME and to handle
> its other important linker flags.
> That way developers simply affirm what they did rather than having them
> not follow a non-policy at all, or occasionally add when they have to
> without feeling guilty about it.

Easier said than done.  Ask anyone who maintains libraries...

behdad