Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On 06/15/2010 07:32 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> This is completely irrelevant, since the pieces built against one
> version will use the appropriate types, signals, etc. with the functions
> of the GTK+ version they are built against.

So, my application uses libraries A and B.  It takes a GtkWidget from A, and
passes it to a function in B.  If A links against gtk-2.0 and B links against
gtk-3.0, tell me exactly how does symbol versioning address this?

> Do you really think GTK+ is the first library with which we encounter
> such an issue?

What are some other examples that are parallel installable and use symbol
versioning in the way that was proposed on this list?

behdad