Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

Le mardi 15 juin 2010 à 08:21 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod a écrit :
> So, my application uses libraries A and B.  It takes a GtkWidget from A, and
> passes it to a function in B.  If A links against gtk-2.0 and B links against
> gtk-3.0, tell me exactly how does symbol versioning address this?

It doesn’t, of course. It will not magically solve all coinstallability
problems, just a subset of them. As soon as the application exposes
widgets from both libraries, you’re pretty much doomed.

> > Do you really think GTK+ is the first library with which we encounter
> > such an issue?
>
> What are some other examples that are parallel installable and use symbol
> versioning in the way that was proposed on this list?

For example there’s libpng, and libjpeg is underway. But of course this
won’t solve cases of passing a libpng structure from a higher-level
library to another one.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :