package dependencies

Hi Developers,
I am attempting to compile the source code of a package that is
looking for an old version of a dependency.  The package is looking
for “hal 0.5.10”; however, I have “hal 0.5.14” installed on my system.
 Can someone provide me with some pointers on how to upgrade a
dependency within a package? The package I am updating is
gnome-device-manager.

I understand this package may be obsolete; but I would like to bring
it back to life by converting the architecture from hal to udev.  Any
information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kevin