Re: GNOME Moduleset Reorganization vs. L10N

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I suspect a GNOME instance of Transifex will solve this, as long as
>> the upstream maintainer chooses to use GTP instead of another
>> translation community. What are our main problems for projects not
>> hosted on GNOME servers?
>
> The main problem is that external projects often don't allow
> translators/Transiflex to commit the translation directly to the
> repository. This adds a manual step in the translation process which
> doesn't always work as we have seen in the past with various freedesktop
> and other projects. Some maintainers simply aren't able to handle the
> extra workload in time so we have delays especially in the development
> versions.
>
> And of course even commiting to git.gnome.org from an automatic system
> hasn't been handled yet because of security issues.

Starting from 1.0, Transifex no longer forces commits to VCS. Yay. :-)

Instead, Transifex hosts the translations internally and allows their
exporting to regular PO files. This way, both language coordinators
and project maintainers can use a command-line tool to regularly
export translations and commit them to any repository they please
(cronjobs supported too). (Note that offline translation is also
supported.)

Full information can be found here:

  http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/one-dot-zero.html

-d