Re: Where is the data?

Il giorno sab, 20/08/2011 alle 11.02 -0400, Shaun McCance ha scritto:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 14:43 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> > > This is not kindergarten. I've set your moderation bit.
> >
> >   I think his objections were justified.  There is really no raw data
> > at those URLs.
>
> Except Allan never claimed he was providing raw data. In fact,
> he explicitly said that he does not do write-ups of user tests.
>
> I also do user tests when working on the help. I also don't do
> write-ups. I fix problems or I pass information on to those who
> are in a position to fix the problems.

Uhm... Until today, I saw nothing concerning results of user testing,
including in the parts of code written by me, and in the bugs assigned
to me. Which either means we're doing too few tests, or they're
communicated badly to the larger community. Or both, probably.
In either case, we may need to stop and consider how to improve this
situation.
For example, at the desktop summit, the first keynote, about large
companies and open sources, emphasized the great amount of user testing
continuously undertaken. This could be employed by the project and
reused to evaluate design and implementation, but pnly if those results
are made available outside the companies.

> Just because I don't publish reports doesn't mean I don't do
> user tests. And the constant assertions that nobody is looking
> at feedback are getting a bit insulting.

Well, if you don't publish anything, other people cannot know your doing
them, and someone, like me, will wrongly end up thinking that you're
doing nothing.
I'm sorry if this is annoying you, but you cannot expect people from
outside, that don't know you, to trust your work, without seeing the end
results of it.
Remember, this is not only about changing what is implemented because of
feedback, but also about providing us with the necessary weapons to
fight feedback that would bring us on the wrong way. If we're not all
convinced of what we do, the outside appearance is of a ruling cabal and
a mass of people blindly following. If we're all united, instead, we'll
stand on our strong arguments and defend the design against all
detractors. (provided it is the right design, of course)

Giovanni