Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 07:32 +0200, Michael Terry wrote:
> So as the Deja Dup maintainer, life will go on when you drop support.
> Worst case, I can just make the panel a dialog.
>
> But dropping the existing API feels like a frustrating bait and
> switch.  It was not clear (at least to me) that this was your
> intentional all along, so myself and others made plans and put effort
> into making panels.

while I'm not sure making the API private is the best idea, I really
understand the reasons behind that decision, which is to not allow for a
control-center crowded with lots of crazy panels, specific to
applications.

But backup is indeed something that makes a lot of sense as a System
Settings panel, so I think it could probably be integrated into
gnome-control-center itself. So, what are the dependencies the c-c panel
in Deja Dup has?

So, getting some design for this would be a good thing, so that we can
start integrating it into the control center itself.

Also, another solution might be to keep the g-c-c API public, but have a
whitelist, so that we just list there the panels that we bless and that
will be loaded in the g-c-c shell. Others would just be ignored, and so
distributions can choose to add the panels they want to the whitelist.