Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 17:37 +0200, Michael Terry wrote:
> So what does being a "core" module/Feature really buy here?  (I mean,
> benefits above and beyond the goodness of being on GNOME
> infrastructure, which I could have without being a core module.)  I
> see the following, but I may have missed something:
>
>  * DD gets the slightly increased integration of being in the panel vs
> a window (really, not a large distinction in the grand scheme).
>
>  * A formal agreement within GNOME that developers should be paying
> attention to the module.  Though note that DD would love attention
> regardless of core status! :).
>
>  * A bit of a social thing by declaring which "camp" DD is aligned with.

We get to make it the One True Way in the user help. Right now,
we have a dozen or so pages about backups. And right now, they
basically say "Déjà Dup is cool. You should use it. But maybe
you don't have it, so here's boring technical information."

I'd rather the help could just discuss the GNOME backup system,
but I can only do that if there's a GNOME backup system.

--
Shaun