Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 12:31 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello Matthias, Dave,
>
> Matthias Clasen [2011-05-13  8:33 -0400]:
> > >  * Language Selector, which allows you to configure your language and
> > >   fallbacks ($LANGUAGE/$LC_MESSAGES), locale ($LANG), list of
> > >   installed languages (packages which provide translations,
> > >   dictionaries, OO.o help, etc.), and input method.This can probably
> > >   be integrated into the now existing GNOME 3 module.
> >
> > Language selection is in the region panel, and the plan is indeed to
> > have input method configuration integrated there as well.
> > Unfortunately, we lack a person with the necessary skills and
> > knowledge to really drive this, currently. Cooperation in this area
> > would be highly appreciated.
>
> I am not quite happy about some parts of the current Ubuntu language
> selector UI, so we want to make some changes anyway. It got quite a
> bit more complex over the years due to user demands in some regions of
> the world (like separate LC_MESSAGES and LANG setting), as well as
> integration of extra package installation (language specific word
> lists, hyphenation patterns, spell check dicts, etc.). If at least
> some of these features are desired to have in upstream c-c, I'd be
> happy to discuss the design with Dave and/or c-c maintainers (not in
> this thread though, please) and then work on an implementation, and
> then we can provide the rest of it (like packaging integration) as an
> Ubuntu patch. If we stop having a separate package for this, I'm of
> course interested in keeping the latter relatively small.

This is something we actually want, as per the mockups in
https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/RegionAndLanguage

If you're interested in providing patches, see us on #control-center

> > >  * system-config-printer: We decided to continue to use that
> > > instead   of the GNOME 3 c-c one. s-c-p is a lot more complete and
> > > proven.
> >
> > Hmm; this is an example of the pick-and-match mindset that pits
> > downstreams against upstreams. Can't we cooperate on making the
> > printer panel good enough for everybody ?
>
> I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be technically possible. However,
> it will take quite some time until all the missing features will be
> added to the new GNOME printer applet, and unlike the locale selector
> I won't have time to help with this particular item; I guess this
> would be a question for Tim Waugh and Till Kamppeter. My gut feeling
> is that it is certainly technically possible and desirable, but will
> take some time, and until then we'd rather not break printing for
> everyone (we can switch over when it's ready).

Please make sure you at least file bugs for those missing features.
Marek is doing a lot of work on this, and it would be a shame to miss
out on particular features just because nobody told bugzilla.

Cheers