Re: systemd as external dependency

Hi,

Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 08:39:12AM -0300, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini wrote:
>> Telling people to switch distributions is a much bigger turn off than
>> you realize. The barrier to contributing to GNOME should not be that
>> high, and many will follow the "switch to a different OS" advice as
>> "contribute to something else, this is too much". That doesn't help
>> anyone.
>
> Anyone is welcome to help out on IRC.
>
> I don't really get your comment though. Sometimes people do not want to
> switch, so ehr.. they say so and I continue giving the best advice while
> keeping in mind that restriction. So sometimes I've said 'ask your
> distro'.

I echo what Evandro's saying.

If someone is coming to IRC asking how to get GNOME 3 compiled, or how
they can contribute to GNOME, and you're leading with "change
distributions", that's potentially very damaging.

For a start, you're a member of the release team, so people could take
this as official GNOME policy. And for a second thing, it could be
perceived as "Ubuntu users can't contribute to GNOME".

If you don't know how to get GNOME 3 working on Ubuntu, or how to
contribute on Ubuntu, perhaps that's what you should say (and let
someone else help).

Cheers,
Dave.

--