Re: systemd as external dependency

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 03:16:41PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> I echo what Evandro's saying.
>
> If someone is coming to IRC asking how to get GNOME 3 compiled, or how
> they can contribute to GNOME, and you're leading with "change
> distributions", that's potentially very damaging.

I don't see it that way.

> For a start, you're a member of the release team, so people could take
> this as official GNOME policy. And for a second thing, it could be

I am the way I am. I use Mandriva and I'd like to switch to Mageia. I
think it is a great distribution though I find the GNOME3 situation
really unfortunate at the moment.

There will be confusion between devel-announce-list emails + emails
where I say 'we (release-team)' and my personal opinions. My intend is
to be as clear as possible but within reason.

I find it sad that in this thread all kinds of fully things are being
discussed about things I might or might not say when I help someone.

One small comment that perhaps remarks seen on IRC are not meant as
negative as they might be interpreted, and now I am questioned on my
behaviour?!?

I find this pretty sad.

> perceived as "Ubuntu users can't contribute to GNOME".

I never said anything like that. When Seb asked if it might be my
belief, I clarified *immediately*.

I cannot control what people might or might not interpret. I think about
it within reason. Other than that: it happens anyway.

I've said a few times that I don't care about $DISTRO (fill in
whatever). It appears to be due to the amount of replies that this is
still perceived as "Ubuntu is evil". Really, I try to avoid such things
(within reason), but it seems to happen anyway.

> If you don't know how to get GNOME 3 working on Ubuntu, or how to
> contribute on Ubuntu, perhaps that's what you should say (and let
> someone else help).

I agree that people might misinterpret things. But it seems to be
occurring anyway.

Some stuff is really too political. E.g. I can say whatever I think
about Mandriva and I get nothing.
--
Regards,
Olav