Re: Mirroring GNOME on github

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 14:38 -0300, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM, John Stowers
> <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > Maintainers are free to reject contributions if they are improperly
> > made for the project. Having a github mirror does not take away their
> > ability to do that (c.f. the Kernel model and forks on github).
> > Similarly, not all projects have the code review policies of
> > gnome-shell; I fear by thinking this is the case was we will cut of
> > our nose to spite our face, as they say.
> >
> > Github is already a wild west of GNOME technology forks, and I believe
> > having an official presence there would allow us to take advantage of
> > those forks and to reduce fragmentation.
> >
> > Beyond making things less messy than they are now, Github has its own
> > advantages too, as I mentioned (code search across all projects, etc).
>
> I love GitHub, and I agree with its advantages, but I think that if we
> don't make a coordinated effort to respect the GitHub community, it's
> a big issue for us. As I said, in the best case scenario we move
> infrastructure to GitHub entirely, and embrace it.
>
> But giving already-overloaded maintainers more places to check for
> code contributions is not really the best strategy, here.

GitHub does have an API [1].  It should be possible to periodically
check for pull requests on GitHub and automatically file corresponding
bugs.

I'm not volunteering, just saying it should be possible.

> Anyway, I'd be fine if we made an official mirror. I'd certainly
> accept pull requests for the modules that I own. I just want to be
> cautious here about our strategy here, though. It only takes one guy
> with an ignored pull request and a Slashdot account to promote the
> myth of the GNOME cabal.

To be fair, the same applies to Bugzilla.  It only takes one guy with an
ignored bug report and a Slashdot account to promote the myth of the
GNOME cabal.

-Evan

[1] http://developer.github.com/