Re: Dropping fallback mode in 3.8

2012/11/21 Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert sxpert org>
* system useability - UI issues
some windows are way too large (and can't be resized or scrolled), for instance, system settings
My mother, 70 years old, worked on various versions of windows for 20 years or so.
when she retired, she looked at my linux desktop (at the time gnome 2 on some ubuntu), and requested that I install it on her machine instead of the windows she had
come ubuntu unity... she called in despair "I can't find anything anymore, where is my solitaire game ?"
so, I installed debian instead... suddently, gnome updates, she calls again "I don't understand, everything is changed, can't find $game anymore"
so I setup the "Gnome (classic)" as default.

guess gnome 3.8, when it shows up on said debian will leave me no choice but move her to some other desktop again.
as an alternative, Emmanuele is invited to come over to her place and give her private courses in "the new Gnome"
(ouch, that felt like an Apple keynote conclusion)

Why did you upgrade her setup then? My mom still uses GNOME 2 (Ubuntu 10.04, have not touched that machine ever since I installed it), I just don't upgrade her machine unless I'm ready to teach her the changes. People do not upgrade their desktop and apps constantly, that's something that only computer geeks do. This is how sysadmins deal with their users. Also in large organizations. You are blaming us for modernizing our software... I can't hardly see how that's a bad thing.

If you want to keep using GNOME 2, just don' upgrade it! The software is there for you to use it.

On 21 nov. 2012, at 21:17, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> writing modern software for old and
> underpowered hardware is not really an option. if you want to use
> really old hardware there are better projects that can benefit from
> contributions.

I'm not talking about OLD hardware, but even recent hardware that's sold to run windows 7 (ok, starter edition, but that's besides the point)

>> now the REAL question is :
>> Is the Gnome community NO BETTER than Microsoft at forcing Hardware Upgrades ?
>
> let's not resort to out of place hyperboles, please.

it is not an hyperbole, but a real question, coming from the heart...