Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

The idea of using the web page as management was an idea that Owen had, and in some ways it was a logical progression of the "addons.mozilla.org" experience: you get extensions from the web site, so why not enable/disable/configure/uninstall them from there too?

It's a good idea, but a myriad of technical issues (shoddy/broken network, pushing browsers to the limits, potential security problems with native code, broken by the "click to play" plugins model) prevent it from being as fluid and well-implemented as I had hoped.

Right now, the local experience for this is "use gnome-tweak-tool, which has a native UI" or "use the Extension List extension". If you want to design something better, feel free. I've been trying to get designers involved in the design of the website and extensions experience, but I haven't gotten any reception whatsoever from the 4 or 5 times I've tried to bring it up, so I dropped.

But this is getting off-topic. I wrote a giant rant as a G+ comment on some post that someone made about this mailing list thread. Summary: I don't feel the classic mode experience is a great long-term solution, but since we're used to just writing and shipping untested code, it's going to be what we do for now.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
>>> The Tweak Tool shouldn't have anything to do with extensions. They are
>>> something that you install and run as a part of the system, not
>>> something to be "tweaked" via settings.
>
> While I agree with you that gnome-tweak-tool (and package managers
> (*)) are not the right place for extension management, I don't think
> this is much of a concern with the matter at hand - as I understand
> it, extensions are merely an implementation detail here and not
> exposed to the user (except that they should also appear separately on
> extensions.gnome.org, so users don't have to switch their system over
> entirely if they only care about one or two "tweaks"). As mentioned
> briefly above, I'd still assume an implementation based on extensions
> even if we are going for a separate session.
> (*) not to mention an extension management extension - I wish I was kidding

Yeah, we sorely need a way to locally enable/disable and uninstall
extensions. This should be built into the core, somehow.

Allan