Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

>> While I agree with you that gnome-tweak-tool (and package managers
>> (*)) are not the right place for extension management, I don't think
>> this is much of a concern with the matter at hand - as I understand
>> it, extensions are merely an implementation detail here and not
>> exposed to the user (except that they should also appear separately on
>> extensions.gnome.org, so users don't have to switch their system over
>> entirely if they only care about one or two "tweaks"). As mentioned
>> briefly above, I'd still assume an implementation based on extensions
>> even if we are going for a separate session.
>> (*) not to mention an extension management extension - I wish I was kidding
>
> Yeah, we sorely need a way to locally enable/disable and uninstall
> extensions. This should be built into the core, somehow.

Really?

Because I have all that code written and sitting there in tweak-tool
and have held off enabling/presenting it for fear of stepping on the
toes of e.g.o and confusing everyone.

If you want me to put that into tweak-tool just ask.

BTW; this gets a bit messier if now we ship classic mode as a
collection of system-wide (i.e. package manager installed) extensions
instead of the user-only extensions aka e.g.o.

John