Re: New GnomeGoal proposal: InstalledTests

On 04/26/2013 10:12 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 08:46 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

You are not going to get me to buy eagerly into a new installed tests
scheme for glib if it means that I have to give up make check.

Well, would you be OK with:

$ jhbuild make
$ gnome-desktop-testing-runner glib

I want "make distcheck" to still run all of my tests, to guarantee that
everything works correctly when built from a tarball, not just when
built from git.

Note though that not all the GLib tests are of the installed form;
for example, glib/tests/1bit-mutex.c actually includes some of the GLib
source code again and rebuilds it in a different configuration.

It forces the code into the "you don't have futexes" fallback mode, so
that we can test that that codepath works, even on machines that do have
futexes. We absolutely want to include that as part of the installed
tests too.

You have to understand the win here though

I understand the win of installed tests, but that doesn't mean that
"make check" tests don't have their own set of wins. I want both.

Also, debugging installed tests is *so* much nicer than "make check" -
you don't have to fight through layers of generated Makefile and libtool
wrapping your actual binary if you want to run gdb/valgrind on it.

danw laptop:~> cat ~/bin/gdb
#!/bin/sh

if [ -n "$1" ] && [ -x $1 ]; then
    if grep -q 'Generated by.*libtool' $1; then
        exec libtool --mode=execute /usr/bin/gdb --args "$@"
    else
        exec /usr/bin/gdb --args "$@"
    fi